Chapter 2

In chapter 2 of the book its mostly discussing email. I was surprised to see the book say that email for a lot of people is the primary reason they use the internet. While I can see in corporate America during your day job, you’re probably not perusing the internet or at least you shouldn’t be, but you are probably spending a lot of time checking emails. As someone who’s notorious for not checking email that was a little surprising. I found a lot of the information to be reinforcing what I already knew about email, besides the information about Bcc’ing.  I found it interesting that the books doesn’t give you any ethical advice on how to properly use the BCC function like we talked about in class, but will give you a “Netiquette” on how to properly write an email.

In addition to the ‘Netiquette” I found the security side of the chapter rather interesting. I was unaware that double clicking of an attachment on an email doesn’t technically save it to your computer, but rather just opens it, which is a big deal if there’s a virus attached. A stat line that was absolutely mind blowing was that there’s 205 billion emails sent in a single day and a staggering 90 percent of them are spam. I was unaware that the CAN-SPAM act even existed because I feel like my Spam folder on gmail is always full. The fine for violating one of the provisions is pretty hefty at 16,000 USD, but I understand why it hasn’t been very successful if the majority of these spam emails are sent by bots. I look forward to what chapter 3 has in store for us.

Prev[2][3][4][5][6].....[10] Next